Friday, November 30, 2007

We were duped!

Cathy and I have been working on putting together out our annual Christmas mix CD for friends and family. Some people do Christmas letters, we do CDs. This is the 6th year we've done one and we always have a lot of fun with it. The first year's CD in 2002 included some of our favorites, like "Christmas, Baby Please come Home" performed by U2, Elvis' classic take on "Blue Christmas" and "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, which I incorrectly labeled and "Happy Christmas (War is Over)." Another song we included was "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." This was back in the days of the original Napster, Limewire and Kazaa. Yes, I know, I shouldn't have been stealing music from hardworking artists, but the truth is, I did. These services were ripe with labeling errors, like the infamous cover of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice" by The Gourds that was incorrectly labeled as being performed by Phish. One of the song I downloaded was labeled as "The Beatles - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." It was a great little twangy track that to me sounded just like the Fab Four. Well it wasn't. The Beatles never recorded this song, as far as anyone knows. The Beatles did release several fan club only Christmas CD, which included some carols, skits, jokes, and messages to fans, but never included this song. The song was actually recorded by a Beatles cover band called "The Rubber Band." Man, we were totally fooled! It sounded just like the Beatles to me. If you'd like a 2002 Roach Family Christmas CD with a corrected track listing let me know! :)

No comments: