Friday, July 01, 2005

ABC Health and Nutrition commercials

So, the other day I was watching my new favorite show, "Family Guy" on FOX. Hey, it's the only thing new on, it's summer! They did a spoof of of an old Saturday morning public service announcement I remember watching as a kid. Hanker for a hunk of cheese.......

"When my get-up-and-go has gone up and went,
I hanker for a hunka cheese.

"When I'm dancing a hoe-down and my boots kind of slow down,
Or any time I'm week in the knees.

"I hanker for a hunk of, a slab or slice or chunk of,
A snack that is a winner, yet won't spoil my dinner,
I hanker for a hunk of cheese."


I found a little information on these PSAs on the web. They were 30 and 60 second long "Health and Nutrition commercials" that aired on ABC around the same time as the longer, more popular and more musical "Schoolhouse Rock!" They premiered in 1977 and were aired until the early 1980s. Right around the same time as the Q-Bert, Pac-Man, Smurfs, Snorks and WWF Wrestling cartoons. The golden age of Saturday morning cartoons.

Some of the other PSAs included:

  • "Yuck Mouth"
  • "Don't Drown Your Food"
  • "Exercise Your Choppers"
  • "Watch Out for the Munchies"
  • "Have a Quickfast"
  • "You Are What You Eat"
  • "Have a Saturdae" (which includes a recipe with a banana, a pineapple ring, a grape and yogurt.)
  • "Sunshine on a stick" (frozen juice on a toothpick!)

Ah.....nostalgia.

No comments: