Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wilco: Kicking IU

A friend and I attended the Wilco concert at IU Auditorium last night. It was a great show, meant to kick off Little 500 week ("World's Greatest College Weekend").

Jeff Tweedy was in rare form, talking about how he'd been watching American Idol and made a couple references to this thread on the ViaChicago.org message boards about the rowdy IU students. Pat Sansone entertained the crowd with his over the top "Pete Townsend"-like guitar antics. Before the show we ran into John Stirratt in the parking lot. If I had had a CD with me I would have tried to get his autograph.

They had a couple of nice surprises in the setlist. They played the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot era b-side "The Good Part" live for only the 9th time. They also played one new song, "Walken (aka Talking to Myself about You)" which they debuted last September. Here's a live MP3 of the song from another show to download:

Wilco-Walken (live).mp3

Here's the full Setlist:

  • Airline to Heaven
  • Kingpin
  • Handshake Drugs
  • Shot in the Arm
  • At Least That's What You Said
  • Hell is Chrome
  • Spiders (Kidsmoke)
  • I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
  • Forget the Flowers
  • War on War
  • Jesus, etc.
  • Hummingbird
  • The Good Part (Wilco's "bossa nova stylings")
  • Walken (aka Talking to Myself about You)
  • Heavy Metal Drummer
  • Theologians
  • I'm the Man Who Loves You
  • Monday
  • -- Encore 1 --
  • Late Greats
  • I'm Always In Love
  • I'm A Wheel
  • -- Encore 2 --
  • California Stars

No comments: